The long, hot days of summer are slowly winding down. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy everyone’s favourite summer treat – Strawberry Ice Cream!
There’s no better way to savour the local strawberry harvest, and making your own at home is easier than you might think. There’s no need for special equipment…and the results are well worth the effort.
Strawberry Ice Cream
- Medium sauce pan
- Food processor
- Freezer-safe bowl (metal loaf tins also work)
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Finely chop strawberries in a food processor & reserve.
- Combine cream & milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook until mixture almost boils, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until yellow and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add 4 tbsp. hot cream/milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Gradually add egg yolk mixture to warm cream mixture, stir continuously to prevent eggs from curdling. Cook over low heat until the mixture slightly thickens and coats the back of a spoon, 3-4 minutes. Cool completely.
- When cooled add reserved strawberries, stir until mixed.
- Pour into ice cream freezer-safe bowl and freeze for around 2 hours.
- Transfer ice cream into an airtight container and keep until you are ready to enjoy!