This delicious mid-winter soup is perfect for your Valentine’s Day dinner – or for any day. It’s a favorite of our Brides, and Chef Michael Davies has had many requests to share his recipe…Enjoy!
Tomato and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
2 large red peppers, halved, de-seeded & chopped rough
1 small Spanish onion, chopped rough
1 small carrot, chopped rough
1 celery stick, chopped rough
18oz plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2.5 cups vegetable stock (can buy ready-made)
2 tsp. Sugar, optional
2 tbsp. Tomato paste
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ cup 35% cream
2oz. Fresh basil chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Place peppers, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and tomatoes on baking tray. Mix with olive oil. Bake for ½ hour or until vegetables are roasted & tender. Blend in tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove vegetables from baking sheet, transfer to a stainless steel pot. Add vegetable stock, simmer for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Taste for seasoning using kosher salt & ground black pepper and sugar if needed.
- Add cream and half of the basil and puree using a blender until smooth.
- Serve in soup bowls with a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil and a swirl of fresh cream.